’Tis the season and I’m going to keep this post short because I’d like to take the time I normally spend slaving over my blog and spend it with my family instead of with my laptop. If you’re luckily enough to have a family (biological or otherwise), I suggest you get off your phone or laptop or whatever you’re reading this on and do the same. For those who have nothing better to do this time of year or are trying to avoid their in-laws, here’s a list of my five favorite holiday pop songs.
5. Dan Fogelberg – “Same Old Lang Syne” I’m including this mostly because the lyric “she spilled her purse” is possibly one of my most favorite lyrics of all time. But in all seriousness, this story-song kills me every time I listen to it. It captures some deep Xmas emotions. And it has a ridiculously badass sax solo bridge.
4. Mariah Carey – “All I Want For Christmas Is You” I know this is everyone’s favorite Xmas pop tune, but there’s a reason for that. It’s not easy to write a song that’s both catchy and captures the holiday spirit. There are many, many duds and throwaways out there, like Colby Callait’s “Christmas in the Sand” or Justin Bieber’s “Mistletoe.” Maybe those two should take a cue from Mariah, because she nails this one so perfectly.
3. The Waitresses – “Christmas Wrapping” Wow. So new wave. Much sass. Very holiday.
2. Darlene Love – “Marshmallow World” Besides being a fantastic girl group tune, this song makes me want to dive into a giant pile of marshmallows. And then build a marshmallow snowman. And then turn him into a giant s’more.
1. The Ventures – “Sleigh Ride” I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again—holiday surf rock for-ev-er! Beachy, dancey, reverb-y and still undeniably Xmas-y. Honestly, this whole album kicks ass but “Sleigh Ride” is my favorite, probably because of the joyous guitar runs and rockin’ riffs.
That’s all folks. Happy holidays and see you next year.
2 thoughts on “Merry Merry, All”
Have a great Christmas and a successful new year Erin! *sings “Thank God It’s Christmas” by Queen, but might be a little biased*
Forgot about that one! It would definitely make my top ten. 🙂 Merry Xmas and Happy New Year to you as well!